Monday, June 12, 2023

Exploring New Worlds

This week's work has been a lesson in taking what's on offer, diving into it and seeing what happens. I suspect that most of us performers find ourselves in that position at times, especially women who sing certain parts (the supply & demand thing) or are of  certain age (my theater friends tell me). Opportunities in one's preferred genre might be slim or groups working in it may not exist locally. We can choose something from what's available or not sing at all. 

Although I've happily sung Bach at various times, the Baroque isn't my favorite period. Still, when the opportunity to sing in the chorus at a nearby Bach Festival, it seemed like a gift after having gone through several years of little classical in the repertoires of the choral groups I'd been in. So I decided that instead of continuing to miss singing madrigals all summer, I'd dive into this. 

Along with learning the parts via the scrolling score recordings I've been able to find on YouTube, I've been reading a bit about Bach and his times. Watching videos about dances of the period, the fashions in clothing and even something about the German Lutheran church of the time, for which Bach composed much of his music. 

Even for those of us who consider ourselves Scanners (many interests in small bits), sometimes being a Diver (one all-consuming passion) for a week or month can yield surprising results. It could be a new way of approaching rehearsals. It could be interest in a new genre. It could veer off into side ventures such as exploring the history of the period, learning a new language or planning a trip. And in the midst of all of this, there's always the possibility of making new friends or finding a new enthusiasm. 

The water might be chilly at first. Or it may be warm and inviting right away. But you won't know until you dive in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment